If you’ve got by no means used lube earlier than and need to give it a attempt, allow us to be the primary to say: Lube is a magical intercourse accent that enhances your comfort and pleasure in nearly every sexual scenario. “When you utilise lube, your choices for intercourse positions, strategies, and even length of intercourse broaden exponentially,” says Jess O’Reilly, PhD, resident sexologist at Astroglide. Whereas lube amplifies your pleasure, it may additionally cut back friction throughout intercourse, which helps make penetration simpler and extra snug with vaginal dryness and anal play, says Jerome Chelliah, MD, MPH, vice chairman of medical operations at HerMD.
While utilising lube may really feel pointless at first, relaxation assured that it is as frequent and vital as utilising condoms. With some follow, you may quickly be utilising lube like a professional to get essentially the most out of each sexual expertise. In the event you do not at the moment have a tube in your nightstand, this information will encourage you to run out and get one ASAP.
Types of Lube
There are numerous manufacturers and textures to select from, however lube falls into three foremost classes: water-, silicone-, and oil-based. Figuring out which one works greatest for you’ll take a little bit of experimentation, however here is what it is best to learn about your choices:
- Water-based lube: “Water-based lubes are nice as a result of they can be utilised on any floor and to fulfill any want,” Dr. Chelliah tells POPSUGAR. “They are pH-balanced, will not depart a sticky residue, and will not lead to staining.” You can use water-based lubes with the vast majority of sex toys with out worrying concerning the lube breaking down the fabric, he provides. Water-based lubes should not as long-lasting as another choices, although, so maintain the bottle close by in case you want to reapply.
- Silicon-based lube: “Silicone-based lubes have a really distinctive, silky really feel that may be soothing to the pores and skin and depart it feeling comfortable and clean,” O’Reilly says. These lubes are very long-lasting, usually hypoallergenic, and are straightforward to use in water. But you will not need to use silicon-based lube with a silicon intercourse toy, O’Reilly says, as it may trigger the floor of the toy to degrade over time. That stated, silicon-based lubes are protected to use with toys product of arduous supplies, together with plastic, aluminum, ceramic, metal, glass, and marble. Note that silicon-based lube may depart a sticky residue behind. If you are somebody who’s susceptible to vaginal dryness, silicon-based lube would doubtless be the most suitable choice for you.
- Oil-based lube: Oil-based lubes have a tendency to final the longest, and are sometimes used for massages or sensual relating the pores and skin. Oil-based lubes could cause latex condoms to deteriorate sooner than different kinds of lubes, Dr. Chelliah says, so it is best to keep away from oil-based lube in the event you’re utilising a condom. That similar analysis additionally means that utilizing petroleum jelly (like Vaseline) in your vagina may lead to increased charges of bacterial vaginosis. Oil-based lubes may stain surfaces and will be tougher to clear up afterward.
Some folks additionally use home items, like coconut oil or olive oil as lubes, which could possibly be thought-about oil-based lubes, as nicely. However, it is vital to be aware that utilizing these merchandise comes with a threat of vaginal an infection once you use these merchandise in your vagina, so the best choice can be to go for a special lube — even when you have already got this in your pantry. However, in the event you do select to use these merchandise, Dr. Chelliah says, “Make certain you buy unrefined coconut oil, which is much less processed and incorporates much less preservatives than refined coconut oil.” For olive oil, go for 100% olive oil that is virgin and first-pressed, because it will not have added chemical compounds.
For coconut oil particularly, O’Reilly has a number of suggestions to bear in mind.
- Don’t use coconut oil with latex condoms, as it may increase the risk of breakage.
- Using coconut oil as lube might improve your threat of yeast an infection due to its excessive pH, which may disrupt the pH steadiness of your vagina.
- Coconut oil may clog your pores. “Some of my shoppers have discovered that it . . . ends in little bumps on the pores and skin,” O’Reilly says.
- Coconut oil will be messy to use as lube and “can depart stains or trigger dyes to bleed from sheets and clothes product of sure supplies,” O’Reilly notes.
- Don’t use coconut oil in the event you’re allergic or delicate to coconut, as it would irritate your pores and skin.
- If you do use coconut oil as lube, keep in mind that you may want to heat it up in your palms first. “Most coconut oils have a melting level of 76 levels Fahrenheit,” O’Reilly says. “It wants to be warmed in your palms earlier than it turns into liquid and a few folks complain that in the event you rub it instantly on the pores and skin when it is nonetheless in strong type, it may be uncomfortable and even just a little tough. It does, nevertheless, really feel beautiful as soon as melted into its liquid type.”
How to Use Lube on Yourself, Your Partner, or a Sex Toy
There’s actually no unsuitable approach to use private lubricant. “Lube ought to finally be utilized as wanted,” Dr. Chelliah says. “You can apply it prior to receiving or giving oral intercourse, throughout solo play, within the bathe, with a lube applicator, and to a condom.” If you are utilizing lube for the primary time, he recommends beginning with a small quantity to see in the event you prefer it, then including extra primarily based in your consolation stage. To keep away from a chilly shock, rub the lube vigorously in your palms earlier than software. And in the event you’re utilizing a brand new model of lube, O’Reilly recommends rubbing a small quantity in your inside thigh and monitoring it for twenty-four hours to be sure to haven’t got a response.
Once you could have your lube heat and prepared to go, you could have plenty of choices. If you are in search of straightforward, slippery penetration, a number of pumps of lube utilized instantly to your clitoris, vulva, vagina, anus, penis, balls, fingers, toy, and/or accomplice will do.
Of course, there are a ton of sensual and satisfying methods to use lube apart from penetrative play, although. The solely restrict is how adventurous you need to get. Just a few concepts to ignite your creativeness:
- Lube makes for an important oral sex assistant when utilised to the lips. O’Reilly recommends dripping it into your mouth or sprucing your lips with it and spreading it throughout your accomplice’s physique whereas working your approach to their genitals.
- Use lube to stimulate erogenous zones by putting it the nipples, neck space, chest, and so on.
- Spread it in your palms to add an attractive issue to a therapeutic massage.
- Cool your lube within the fridge earlier than use to play with temperature.
Important Tips on How to Use Lube
Make certain to try the substances, as not all lubes are created equally. Steer away from manufacturers that include glycerin, parabens, scents, or sugars. These chemical compounds can simply disturb the fragile Ph steadiness within the vagina, which may end up in allergic reactions, bacterial vaginosis, and yeast infections.
Don’t simply go for a pure lube as a result of it says “pure.” After all, a pure lube just isn’t all the time the most suitable choice. “Some folks assume that ‘pure’ substances are more healthy, however many individuals have allergy symptoms or sensitivities to a spread of substances from nature,” O’Reilly factors out. “Everybody is totally different, so concentrate to what works for you.” In common, in the event you’re susceptible to pores and skin sensitivities, depart behind any lube that markets itself as “tingling” or “warming.” These lubes have a tendency to include irritating substances.
For added security, purchase your lube from respected sex shops the place merchandise have a tendency to be increased high quality than what you discover on the drugstore. And whereas it is good to take precautions, do not let this intimidate you from giving lube a attempt. “Generally, lube may be very protected and can be utilised to improve your whole sexual wants,” Dr. Chelliah says.
Bottom line: Lube is an unequalled asset when it comes to foreplay, arousal, and marathon-length intercourse. Even analysis exhibits that lubricants are associated with significantly higher reports of sexual pleasure and satisfaction. If you could have any questions on lubricants, cease by a good intercourse store or speak to your physician.
— Additional reporting by Maggie Ryan
Astroglide is available at Woolworths Supermarkets across Australia.
Astroglide is available at Chemist Warehouse online